Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Introduction



Hello Dr. E and class,
     I would like to start introducing myself. My name is Gisele Motta, I am a brazilian born living in the US for the last 20 years. I am pursuing a BA in History and hope to graduate next year. My work is very dynamic and physically intense. As an art technician working for various venues including LACMA, The Broad Art Foundation, and The Annenberg Foundation I am often exposed to Contemporary art and artist who are making a difference in the art world. I also had the opportunity to work abroad installing The Venice Biennale 2007 and was a guest visitor at The Turkish Biennale 2011. A Bachelors of Art degree will definitely expand my knowledge and improve my resume.







     America is a nation built by diverse groups who came together with one purpose, freedom. Their heritage, family values, social dynamics, and religion shaped The United States to be what it is today. A land of opportunity, economic trive, and religious diversity first established by colonial leaders.







2 comments:

  1. Wow Gisele! You have such a fancy job! I will live vicariously through you since I spend most of my time writing papers in between changing diapers and filling sippy cups :) I have a girlfriend from Brazil and I just adore hearing her stories from there. Also, she introduced me to the caipirinha and I am HOOKED!

    I too believe that people from all different cultures come to this country because it offers a lot of freedoms. I am certainly proud of our country and although there are things always worth improving, it certainly helps to be reminded of all that we enjoy by being a part of this country and also by learning about our past. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gisele. A very impressive blog filled with fact and your personal thoughts. I agree with you that the "American Dream" was and is a core foundation of America, out culture, and our beliefs. Many an immigrant has come to this country to better their lot in life with much success I might add. I also agree with Dr. E, that religious freedoms were not necessarily the driving force behind mass immigration to the America's, but rather economic opportunity. Of course, many a challenge awaited them from the native "savages" to the freezing winters; from near starvation to a multitude of disease. I am a proud American, proud of my forefathers for their courage, their ambition, their drive, their values, and most of all for their temerity and perseverance. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.
    Vikki Wood

    ReplyDelete